Thursday, October 1, 2009

Initial impressions of Google Wave

Like one of the many hundreds of thousands of people that are using Google Wave, I'm sure I'm not the first to be saying ... WHAT?!?

Now, I have gone through a few of the YouTube videos explaining what Google Wave is and understand that it's a communications platform that includes some of Google's product offerings. I'll break it down to how I see it in my own set of paradigms.
(NB - yeah I know it's kludgy but it's the way I think)

Wave as an email client
- Well ok, this is a poor email client since email you'll be messaging a large number of people who may not be a "Google contact" and who you may not really care what they look like with their user photo
- Still has nice message threading UI

Wave as an IM client
- Works well to see you contacts close and all the message history
- It looks like the best asynchronous IM viewers that I've seen. Other clients like Adium or Trillian are pretty poor for looking at past conversations
- It's still limited for me 'cause I don't have that many friends on Google Wave

Wave as a wiki
- I haven't tested this out yet since again, I don't have many friends on Wave
- Looks to be the most promising of features as an agile work Team-room

Wave as a communications platform
- Well I suppose this is the future, when the hackathons and Google Wave app store drive more functionality, we may have this as
> gaming
> document sharing and group editing
> recording and playback of google chat (voice & video)
> possibly even the random conversations that ICQ had back in the day

So these paradigms are how I see Google Wave evolving over time, as part of my usage. I'm sure there are people (re: Google employees) that are all over that spectrum. The challenge going forward is how to satisfy all these different user behaviours without creating a mess of a UI.

Good Luck Google!

No comments: