Thursday, March 13, 2008

Canadians interfering in US elections

I don't know how I didn't hear of this earlier. News about the democratic candidate's positions on NAFTA are few and far between. I had heard both Hillary Clinton & Barack Obama were both taking an anti-NAFTA position. However, after living here for several years and hearing absolutely no news about it, I figured the issue was more or less pointless. Also I know for most Americans that the fear about NAFTA really means fear of Mexicans.

The scant media from the US is that McCain & Clinton are attacking Obama over statements from his staff re-assuring Canadians that despite his stance on pulling out of NAFTA, Canadians need not worry.

So I finally get to reading CBC today and see an article about the Liberal party wanting the Conservative government to recall the ambassador over a suggestive statement about the US election (CBC.ca article).

Now I see that the CBC is reporting that all of it is wrong and that someone in the Canadian Foreign Ministry implied that the Obama campaign was making secret deals with Canada (CBC report on Youtube).

Personally I think that interfering with another country's election is reprehensible. This smacks of Austria's Heider's rise to power in 2000 (CNN special). Heider was able to leverage news that the EU was sanctioning Austria to reinforce his position as being a sovereigntist and defying the European Union and their actions to meddle in the internal business of their country. Maybe there's some secret handshake between McCain and Harper to discredit the Democratic party. Who knows, but this is not a place that I want my government to go.

No comments: